Here’s an orchid I photographed last year at Longwood Gardens in Pennsylvania. Flowers are great subjects to explore the creative use of textures and effects filters.
- Nikon D3s with 70-200mm f/2.8 AFS G VRII zoom Nikkor lens, tripod
- 1/50s @f/4, ISO 400
- Base RAW Conversion in Nikon’s Capture NX2
- Filter Effects
- Color Efex Pro 4: Contrast Only, Glamour Glow, Vignette Blur
- Texture Effects
- Flypaper Textures “Rainbow Trout”
- Border Effects
- Color Efex Pro 4: Image Borders
I partitioned these effects into different Photoshop layers, so that I have more control over them should I want to change my mind. It’s much easier to fix one or two effects than have to redo everything from scratch.